Tuesday 29 July 2014

Superhero Powers



Living in a house with a 4 year old boy has given me a whole new perspective on superheroes.......! Previously I had this vague awareness of characters that were brought to Hollywood life with latex suits and possessed super powers.  I had to question grown men (and women) that idolized these characters and I was part of many late night debates over who the true super heroes in society may be!  I now understand that in the eyes of a small child, being able to fly or climb and make all the bad guys "go to sleep" seems like the ultimate "cool" thing to want to be when you grow up.



All of this got me to thinking about what kind of Super Powers I'd like to have - if I could drop into the garden shed and reappear as Super Mummy what would I do to make this planet a better place for us all?


  1. I would definitely like the power to heal - over the years I've lost so many people (and animals) from my life that went way before their due dates,thanks to some awful disease or illness for which there was, ultimately, no cure -  just a delay. Our son will never know that unique relationship between a boy and his Grandad - thanks to the Big C!  It's one of those things I wish he could have - but it's beyond my Mummy powers to give him.
  2. Talking to animals would be my cool super power - I had many years as a pet parent, I think I was being tested to make sure I was up to the job of parenting a human!  I was so blessed by the animals that accepted me into their packs and we definitely could communicate well - I'm not so shallow as to expect my super powers would have them all speaking perfect English, I'd much prefer to be able to communicate in their own language.
  3. Teleporting myself from one spot to another would really help with this delicate balancing act - after an early morning searching for a very specific toy which always seems to be in the last place on earth you'd expect it to be; changing clothes twice to avoid the carefully placed Jam Brooch I would otherwise be wearing and dodging the traffic on the home-nursery-work run -it would be so nice to be seated at my desk, as cool as a cucumber, and well-prepared for the first meeting of the day!
But the fame would get annoying, dealing with arch-enemies would be exhausting and protecting your true identity would take far too much planning.  So maybe I'm just happy being me.............

After all, in the eyes of one small but oh so important boy, I am already a Superhero!  My hugs and kisses are the only thing that can heal a bump, a scrape or some hurt feelings; my ability to understand and speak first baby babble, then toddler talk and now pre-school ponderings makes me quite the linguist;  and at the end of a day full of, maybe not villains and arch enemies too often,  but certainly doing good and helping people, a quick spin in my closet welcomes home Super Mummy to rustle up a tasty meal, coordinate an underwater attack on the Dirt Monster, tell a story to refill imagination tanks, and plant a goodnight kiss on a smiley little face that will transport him to a dreamland full of his own superheroes.  

Life's not so bad here in reality world!

No comments:

Post a Comment