Sunday 17 January 2016

Recipe: Chicken Cacciatore


I returned to my much loved Dairy Book of Home Cooking for this recipe, I had an original of this book way back in the 80s and we used it in Home Economics at school as a sort of text book. When I returned to the UK after living away my Dairy Book had been lost somewhere in the 20 year timewarp -but I was delighted to find an updated version was available. Since then it's stayed on the kitchen bookshelf (a prized spot in the ranking of my cook book collection) and I reach for it often to find an old favourite or just a bit of inspiration.

Toss chicken portions in seasoned flour (1 Tbsp flour for each portion). Heat 2 Tbsps olive oil in a large frying pan and fry chicken until nicely golden on both sides. Remove chicken from pan. Fry 1 chopped onion and 1 crushed garlic clove in the pan until soft. Add 1 can of chopped tomatoes (original recipe calls for 1lb skinned and chopped fresh tomatoes), 1 tsp sugar, 150ml chicken stock and the chicken. Return to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook for about 45 mins. Add 110g sliced mushrooms and simmer for 15 more minutes.

Serve with creamy mash and veg – C requested cauliflower so it gets a bit lost against the mash, would typically have gone with carrots or green beans/broccoli.





No comments:

Post a Comment